Thursday, May 26, 2011

A little perspective

I saw this in my local news feed today and I just have to share it with all my friends in the northern hemisphere.  I know you all have many things you are rightfully upset about and for many of my readers, crazy religious people would be very high on that list.  Nevertheless I can't help but think this should put a lot of your issues into a new perspective.

"Malalane - A trial date is expected to be set on Thursday for 12 people arrested in connection with setting a pastor alight after accusing him of using a magic penis to sleep with women.

The nine men and three women, aged between 28 and 50 will appear in the Boschfontein periodical court in Mpumalanga on charges murder and arson.

The villagers, among them a community induna (headman), were  arrested on February 24 after Albert Malwane, a pastor of the Izwi Zion Christian Church, was burnt to death a day before.

Mpumalanga police spokesperson Leonard Hlathi said that Malwane had been dragged from his one-roomed house in the Etitandini informal settlement near Jeppes Reef south of Malalane and taken to a hill, where he was set alight.

Malwane's house was also burnt and his wife and daughter went into hiding.

Community members had accused him of talking to animals and using an invisible penis to sleep with women in the informal settlement.

They also accused his wife of turning into a snail and terrorising the community.

The villagers also complained that Malwane's family had used muti to make then sick after Malwane's death.

One of the accused had to be carried into the Boschfontein periodical court when the 12 appeared in court on April 8.

Timothy Malwane, the father of the deceased, believes a curse was released at the pastor’s funeral.

The 12 accused have not been asked to plea"


I swear I didn't make up a word of that.  Everything from the pastor with the magic penis to his wife the terror snail is verbatim from the report.

School boards wanting creationism in the syllabus and such, just don't look the way it used to, does it?

5 comments:

GumbyTheCat said...

I have a magic invisible penis as well. It disappears in the presence of cold water.

I understand what you mean about putting the common religious annoyances in perspective. Things could be worse here in the U.S., but unfortunately things continue to go downhill here in the most religious developed country. The battles against creationism in schools and religion meddling with politics is the tip of a much larger iceberg. There's a hell of a lot of theocratic idiocy under the surface. In places like you describe, the craziness is less regulated by law and social norms, so the full iceberg is on display.

Really, every day I get more and more depressed about this religious insanity that has such a dreadful stranglehold on so much of humanity.

Eugene said...

There's just no cheering you up is there Gumby? I follow American politics because my home grown politics is so depressing, was hoping to return the favour religion wise but nooooooo

GumbyTheCat said...

Well, your new profile pic cheered me up. Obsession! lol.

Eugene said...

Well what can I say? She makes me happy! Glad I could pass the good cheer along!

digapigmy said...

I think religion could only possibly be the third or fourth worst thing about American politics.